Friday 11 May 2012

Sticking at it

I stand corrected...apparently people (well one person, at least) does actually like going to the gym. Everyone else I’ve ever spoken too, even if they like the feel of using the machines, the afterglow, the long term effects, or even, in one case, the opportunity of displaying a fit male body to other ones...does not particularly like the gym per se. I’m grateful I’ve been to one or two and know what it’s all about and can safely save myself the membership fees and return to housebound activities (both yoga and dancing can be done at home without audience or critique), or better still something in the fresh air. At the moment it's hard to imagine doing any 'activities'...I've still got to master getting the vacuum out and moved appropriately across what I think are carpets, though it's getting hard to tell!

Yesterday I had a few 'wardrobe malfunctions' and was extremely grateful the last one happened just before I had to go for the bus (Just after writing my last post actually...before I even got to post it). I was positively thrilled it was pouring with rain to conceal my dampness and confusion, and gave great thanks for the invention of Febreze and similar products... Gratitude too that I had an appointment on arrival with the stoma care nurse and that she was so helpful in so many ways, including revealing a different problem regarding excessive adhesion on the bits that do stick...which I thought was just something patients had to be stoic about (and thus why never mentioned), was an apparently unique chemical reaction between my skin and those particular bags but easily solvable by using different ones. Duh! I came away with a bag of assorted samples and left her with a still-in-its-box night bag stand that I left hospital with but had no desire whatsoever to actually use and for which, it turned out, she was desperate for supplies.

The kidney chap was lovely and attentive and interested in discussing with his various colleagues how best to steer a safe path of symptom alleviating medication through the minefield of my contra-indications... and decided he should start with some fresh blood tests all of his own (yawn!). I have an appointment with a GP later and if she thinks she'd having any more she'd got another think coming. She's anaemic, take more blood! I know it makes sense but it doesn't sound like it really, does it?

I give thanks for Peter coming to meet me and driving me home via an excellent tea at the Coombe Cellars...a very old and shabby chic modernised hostelry right on the banks of the estuary where you can see a variety of water fowl, boatmen, tidal movements, sunsets and Dartmoor according to the weather, time of day and year. Lovely spot to be and lovely to see him...

Today I'm grateful for a long lie in and slow start. I don't have to be anywhere til...oh, my ears and whiskers...time to get dressed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angel,
    Couldn't help having a big grin and chuckle at your blood test thoughts, reminds me of the blood donor skit by Tony Hancock. My Dr had trouble finding my veins usually, but since going to the (whisper the word)! my veins are much easier to find. Stoma care must actually be difficult long term for you because of the adhesive, and how sore the area can get if you have a reaction. I get weal's from paper tape the lab people use. Now was that a touch of Alice in Wonderland or Peter Rabbit rushing off? Thought of you at just before 9 tonight, with the sun fiery red in the sky and dropping out of sight as I approached home after shopping, if I had had my phone with me, would have sent you a picture.
    Hope you have a good weekend Angel, and the weather plays fair. Pat xxx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics