Tuesday 2 April 2013

Unfriendliness

Someone unfriended me on Facebook again. Someone I used to work with and that I thought of as, well, a friend...someone with whom there was some amiable virtual interaction anyhow.  I've been trying to think about what to be grateful for in that situation...

Well, for one thing Facebook makes it so easy to get people out of your face! I've been 'unfriended' by many people in real life and, no matter how keen they may have been to get the deed over with and move away from me, the actual telling may well have been an uncomfortable situation for them - especially the close relatives and the ones who were 'more than just friends', and those with connections not easily unentangled like business partners and bosses... I give thanks that most people who want less of me now are only or mainly on line contacts and can save their awkward feelings and just click me away.

Then there was the fact that I was rather hurt by it. This seems to suggest seems I value people, that I haven't become numbed and toughened by other rejections. I'm grateful for that... also that I don't think I deserved it and still have self esteem. I've been informed many times that I'm 'bad' at some aspect of being a human being or other and remain mystified as to how exactly other human beings can be so sure they are 'good' enough to judge!

I also give thanks for people who commented kindly about my blog. I wasn't fishing for compliments...I do genuinely wonder what relationship the musings of such a strange disconnected life as mine can have to those who have relationships with people who are actually in the same room as them without being paid to be there...such as shop keepers, medical staff and cab drivers!

Gratitude for this interesting read about the new words and usages that new technology brings...and how we react to them... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21956748


And for a trip to the great outdoors where, as you can see, the sea was being a bit too friendly to the southerly seating area at Eastcliff... I went to one of my favourite sun spots where a sun warmed wall kept the wind from my back. I'm grateful I didn't have to share it with anyone as it's only big enough for one!

3 comments:

  1. sometimes it must be difficult to find your gratefulness but you always do ,I admire you greatly for this !xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabi
    Still reading your glorious blog whenever I get the chance. I hope you are going as well as possible, especially with aches and pains. Going away for a break sounds like a nice idea. We are doing much of the same, just getting out and enjoying our very extended summer weather. Easter was a real treat with a couple of nights away in a rural town b&b which is like staying at my Great Grandma's house when I was a child. Cottage garden and private garden room, full breakfast with the little crochet covers over the milk and juice jugs, Everything so sweet and the most accommodating host. Chat to you soon, take care Juanita xx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics