Monday 16 September 2013

Country bus

This morning I gave thanks for cold rice pudding for breakfast. This meant making some for supper and not being greedy which is tricky where cardamom and coconut milk are concerned!

I was grateful for feeling ready to venture out into the world again today, and that I had to wait in for a delivery which meant it was just the right time afterwards to get the infrequent Country Bus. This is the name of the company as well as a description of the route, and they bill themselves as being an operator 'with a friendly face' so you might not be surprised to hear the driver picked up and dropped people pretty much wherever they wanted, chatting away to those he knew and even calling out 'Bless you!' when I sneezed. He also pulled into a layby where no passenger wanted to embark or alight to put his rubbish in a bin. Clearly he was fond of cleanliness...look, there's a broom and mop and bucket on board!

With views of the sea, the river and the moors the bus winds through a pretty nearby village I rarely visit so I was grateful for that, but even more so as it goes to a part of a local industrial estate otherwise a bit of a trek and where I had various bits and bobs to do. I give thanks for discovering Costa's cake. I'd never choose a chain over an independent cafe but there were years when there was no refreshment place on the site so I was very grateful for a loo and a stimulant and a slice of a sort of chocolate orange Battenburg to keep me going through the deeds that needed to be done.

And on my return I was very thankful for the slow cooking pot of lentil stew. I cannot praise too highly a slow cooker if you live alone. It does all the stuff it does if you don't but the psychological benefit of opening your door to the smell of your tea ready is just like they say on that credit card ad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics