Friday 27 September 2013

Lost and found

Today had always been scheduled as a 'rest' day, not going anywhere or doing anything very energetic even by my standards, but I hadn't expected to be quite so tired so I've been grateful I didn't have anything pressing or important planned of a sedate and housebound nature either. I've been grateful for for falling asleep to the sound of the wind and roaring surf, for a fridge full of leftovers keeping food prep to a minimum, for pain in my wrists and knuckles not stopping me lifting a kettle or a cup even if stitchcraft's been out of the question, and for my achy knees and ankles getting me to the window now and then to gaze in awe at the whipped up white topped waves.

If you're someone who likes to do and achieve it can be hard when ill health intervenes not to think of days as lost, so I've been grateful for the opportunity to reflect on this, on the times we think of as not being some other sort of times instead of just accepting their passage as they are. I've been grateful for a full Skybox and choosing some documentaries about ancient and almost forgotten civilisations in South America to watch to clear some space and fill some horizontal but conscious time. These peoples' fortunes rose and fell whatever their varying cosmic views or motivation, the material substances of their existences disintegrating and decaying or being put to new purpose just as ours will be no matter how important or beloved or rich or strong we are in living. I understand some people don't like to think of things like this, but what is is however you choose to regard it, and I actually find it rather empowering to remember that what matters is not what you can see or have or hold. I also gave thanks for hearing of the Muisca, who cultivated a range of different types of bees for different malleability in their wax in order to facilitate the making of clay moulds for the gold offerings they left in caves, rivers and on the tops of mountains. We know because we found them I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics