Tuesday 8 July 2014

Just Wight

Yesterday evening I was so sleepy going back to the cabin to drop off things before dinner turned into an early night... With a long lie in to follow. I'm grateful for catching a stunning synchronised dolphin leaping display beforehand, and that I can't upload the photos as I've still got to master the magic necessary to know in advance when to click the shutter - waiting til they appear is too late!

It was very rocky going to sleep, so much so that I thought we'd stopped when I woke and it was so calm. I give thanks for finding a quiet sunny spot out of the wind and having the nous to fetch a chair before anyone else did. It was in the stern outside the fancy pants restaurant so I guess they wanted to discourage steerage classes from spoiling the view but as no meals were being served and the fancy pants diners mostly have their own balconies anyway I couldn't see the harm. I give thanks for the couple who were clearly coveting my seat but, on hearing I'd shortly be leaving to get sun lotion and were welcome, offered to save it for me in return for the info that stacks of the things were available on the decks where commoners congregate.

I was grateful we were for several hours in that frustratingly bright sunshine you see over the sea on a murky day inland, but as we were in the channel it was too dirty and busy for dolphins though I gave thanks for a skein of white seabirds trailing behind one another like the tail of a kite.  Plenty for a commercial shipping fan to be grateful for too, plus beautiful coastline I couldn't identify but have just realised on seeing it again, is the Isle of Wight!

I'm grateful I thought to order a pizza large enough for tea, supper and probably elevenses too, just in time before the  on board cafe shut. Each leg of the journey has a mostly different travelling contingent and this one seems to be particularly fond of smoking, drinking and shouting... Methinks another early night with my great book and some downloaded 'TV' could be just the thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics