Friday 25 March 2016

Rocky roads

I give thanks for a great day out where usual rules apply - the better the day the harder it is to convey the multiplicity of gratitude felt!

I give thanks first of all for good company, for being with one of those rare souls who know me well and think I am too...and for his good lady wife kindly lending me him for several hours now and then so I can experience and enjoy this rare conjunction.

I give thanks for being able to share big difficult things that make us sad and silly little things to make us laugh like a customer called Cliff being called for his food order at a cafe at the bottom of one, or a man appearing to go up to the dog in a driver seat of a camper van to ask for directions.

I give thanks for knowing where to find the most beautiful views in our beautiful locality and being driven to places where I could see them...including some that were underground! For discovering the clever scallop shell lamps once used to light the caves and the wonderful total darkness inside them when all lights were extinguished.


I give thanks for facilities for refreshment, parking and comfort needs materialising where required including a table suddenly vacated to put down a tray I couldn't carry, and the hut on the back beach with hatch closed but back door not yet locked providing one last cuppa as the sun began to set. For doing more walking about (and up and down!) more than I would have thought I could, and that the bathwater's waiting for me to soak the aches and stiffness before they get too bad to get in it to do so.

I give thanks for glorious mild spring sunshine - out in baseball boots and hoody for the first time this year! I give thanks for knowing four years ago today the weather was remarkably warm and sunny too - I was in a high dependency unit following surgery and it was the main topic of conversation after essentials of patient care. I don't know if it was some kind of residual high from the anaesthetic, over enthusiastic pain relief or the sensation of tender attention unknown before or since... but I give thanks for the memory of feeling great safety and contentment while I was there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics