Sunday 17 April 2016

Science of ourselves

I give thanks for a long lie in gazing at the deep blue sky through my window in between reading chunks of a book that would have passed me by if it hadn't passed in front of me when one knitting chum who'd borrowed it passed it back to another she'd borrowed it from. It's the fascinating post-war journals of 'Housewife, 49'...I love a good diary don't you? Ha ha...of course you do...you're reading mine! 

Nella writes so well on the little details of her life and the bigger pictures she tries to see, and appreciating the ebb and flow of emotion and events in it is so intrinsically pleasing. But it also pleases me as it reminds me I used to write for the resurrected Mass Observation Project that started in the latter part of the last century...and as I was at the University of Sussex in the first part of this one and had access to the Archive for my studies, I had the very strange experience of coming across some of my own contributions...and now here I am blogging about reading a diary from there. Mmm...I love a good interweaving of coincidence and connection too!

I give thanks for reassembling the contents of my airing cupboard following ingress from various unexpected water sources. It's on the landing outside my flat door so doesn't contain freshly laundered linens but expendable items like dust sheets for decorating, useful but currently unused cardboard boxes and things waiting for the universe to send me someone to take me to the tip! There are a few ways this collection fits in the small space and several ways it doesn't...so I give thanks I found one of the former eventually...

I give thanks for a quiet afternoon - me, the neighbours, the crows, the gulls, the pigeons, the power tools, the dogs and the kids! I give thanks my hands have been quite amenable to handicrafts so I've been able to get on with some knitting and sewing projects...and I give thanks for reading that and realising they probably wouldn't be amenable to anything much at all by morning, so that I leapt up from my laptop to make tomorrow's tea as well as tonight's... I give thanks I'm off to eat the latter whilst finishing watching the highlights of the Chinese Grand Prix...I give thanks I've not looked at any news anywhere today so right now I haven't a clue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics