Saturday 30 April 2016

The burden of schemes

I give thanks for a nice bit of sunshine to start the Bank Holiday weekend. For physically smiling when I think of all happy things people may have planned, or happy unplanned things they may not know yet they have on the way...

I give thanks three times this week people have asked me if I have plans because I kind of like the idea, as I stumble through my numbered days, of sometimes managing still to create the air of someone who might have some worth sharing. Unfortunately lately I seem to have lost my famous knack of enjoying doing stuff on my own so, until or unless I don't get it back, I guess I should be grateful for the opportunity of learning the new skill of enjoying doing very little at all! So far I'm not proving the most successful pupil as it's so hard to turn my ever ready brain off, but I give thanks for this making me think having written a story once called The Burden of Dreams I should maybe follow it up with one called The Burden of Schemes...and that making me google the phrase and finding a link to a GQ article from five years and a day ago about the difficulties Werner Herzog had making a film about the difficulties an opera obsessed Irish man had in the South American jungle at the beginning of the last century.
http://www.gq.com/story/stream-this-werner-herzog-burden-of-schemes

Having much fondness for Herr Herzog's documentaries I'm very grateful I managed to find this early 1980s film on line as it proved a most splendid way to do nothing all by myself for an hour and a half this afternoon! I was particularly fascinated by the way, in amongst the snippets of Caruso in the soundtrack, there were also some of indigenous music with a distinctly traditional Irish flavour here and there...the glimpse of coincidence in the random scheme of things. I also give thanks for comfy earbuds to transport said soundtrack directly to my ears blocking out a little dog nearby clearly not at all happy with its enforced solitude...

I give thanks it seemed to have driven other neighbours out as well so I could have a rattling old time with my sewing machine unconcerned as to whether that noise was bothering anyone. People sometimes say why should I worry about being considerate but I never see the point in not giving better than you get...well, not if you're not getting a lot anyway! I guess if everyone is treating everyone wonderfully it doesn't have to become a competition who can be the nicest human being in the world...but it wouldn't be bad if it did though, now would it? Though, on the other hand overhearing lots of angriness later, I gave thanks for the reminder there are worse things than no one to hang out with...you could have people to shout at you instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics