Friday 14 June 2019

Quarante-cinq

I give thanks for surviving the day's transport confusion with moderate patience and good humour. The taxi that came to pick me up today was the second of the two I'd had notifications for, and as I'd been told it was the first one that was right I was all ready for that and wondering whether both had been cancelled by mistake or the first one was late...or what. Luckily I had an easily to pick up and put down craft project so I was grateful for making some progress on that. I gave thanks for finally finding out what is happening on Monday when I have to have both treatment and my fistula op. Basically although no one can tell me exactly what time I'll be brought in (helpful!) it's going to be a very long day...I give thanks I won't be nil by mouth but will have to bring a lot of food, prepared the night before of course...And I give thanks for sussing out the taxi I'd been advised was bringing me home was actually coming at a different time than I'd had a message about so I although I was waiting longer than I'd have preferred at least I wasn't getting too het up about it.

Whatever these inconveniences they pale into insignificance beside the delight that is not being turned into a cornflake by unnecessary fluid extraction. It's been a long hard three month trying to get this sorted and I thought it was really nice one of the sisters on the ward actually apologised for making me feel so uncomfortable and unwell. The uncertainty of my current regime, the transport puzzles to solve, the enforced proximity of new people and new processes to get used to, to say nothing of having my blood wandering around all afternoon, it's all quite exhausting enough...but it's a whole different sort of tired and far more manageable.

I give thanks for remembering to download some entertainment, and for my headphones making the ward a little quieter. I even managed to wedge Pat's cushion over one side and get a decent nap. I wouldn't be able to put earplugs one handed but I might see if I can a more sound insulating headset moving forward, meanwhile I give thanks for just finishing the first series of Black Spot just as they released a second season, that will draw my attention away from all the noise and intrusions.

Finally I give thanks for being home, with a mug of roobosch as it's too late for caffeine for me, and a plate of quick food ready to serve. I have to be up in the morning for something to be collected although I don't know when. I give thanks I'm getting better at this now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics