Saturday 27 July 2019

Quatre-vingt-huit

I give thanks I still plan days as if I were younger, fitter and far more well than I actually am. Obviously it's potentially a recipe for exasperation and disappointment, but there's plenty of opportunity for those if you have plenty of things the matter with you anyway and I like the idea that in my imagination I can still do so much more than is usually possible.

Today for instance I thought I'd put fresh paint on the last remaining section of bedroom wall that's waiting for it - twice - strolling down for a cappuccino at the kiosk in the next cove along the coast while the first one dried... which didn't even take into account how sore and stiff I'd be after moving the furniture to get to said wall last night. Have you seen Donnie Darko? Do you remember the old lady crossing the road very s-l-o-w-l-y. That was me just moving up and down the rungs of the ladder, and in between coats the only place I was capable of going to was the land of nod!

I give thanks for scrubbing the worst of the paint from my hands and knees (don't ask!), making a quick sandwich, fluffing my tufts over the bald patches and taking a late lunch break in the sunshine by the brook before a start on the skirting and another lengthy rest. I give thanks to the people who work in Tesco and Co-op food production for preparing hummus and coleslaw and garlic bread for my tea...for the confidence I will eventually get upright again to fill a plate with them for my tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics