Tuesday 7 April 2020

Essential

It's interesting, in these times of looking out and looking inward, to ponder on the subjectivity of what constitutes 'essential'. I give thanks for glimpses of how people I know perceive it, and how the concept is applied in other parts of the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/what-is-an-essential-business-varies-countries-borders-coronavirus-lockdown-2020-3%3famp

Essentially (see what I did there?) it comes down to the individual mind - including that of the police officer who may disagree with you regarding the nature of your errand - and I give thanks there are folk who are still permitted to run some errands, especially as I am not and occasionally they can be persuaded to run them for me! I give thanks for Rachel bringing me a selection of beans and pulses, rice and quinoa, onions, garlic etc from her own personal store and the healthfood focussed one across the road. These, to a mostly vegetarian who has to go easy on dairy and pre-made foods, would seem to be pretty essential indeed, and as there are less and less people available to ask for help with supplies I'm most grateful she volunteered. We all have our limits and comfort zones and I give thanks for being understanding when she declined to pick up a package for me (of more essential items, honest guv!) at a local shop...but also for someone else saying they will next time they come this way.


I give thanks for unpacking some books that arrived from Waterstones last week - having finally decided it was safe to. Hand held escapism seems pretty vital to me! And also for remembering to use (and finding) my last poetry prize gift card that has been hanging around a while...

I give thanks for spotting the older gentleman who likes to wear a short skirt and ankle socks sporting a pink shoulder bag I've not seen before today, and for his legs not looking so cold...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics