Tuesday 16 June 2020

Invincible

I give thanks for realising by stressing about the after effects of today I wasn't addressing its intrinsic challenges. For trying to remain calm and composed and doing some more cleaning and tidying. For remembering not to throw away the recently mended china bowl which became unmended and hurled itself from the bathroom shelf to the floor to shatter in many more pieces...because I've promised myself one day I really will get round to a broken crockery mosaic.

I give thanks for a text telling me transport was on its way to take me to my appointment, partly as this meant they hadn't forgotten me this time, and partly as the advance warning gave me time to enjoy some sunshine while I waited...or, as it turned out, effect the speediest emergency stoma bag change I've ever achieved! Phew!


For the speediest ever in and out of the oncology unit including the best ever cannula insertion I've ever had in all my visits there by a deft and confident chap called Vince. No scalding hot water, no painful poking, failed attempts or bruising. I was practically in tears of joy! He also rang to change the time of transport home which had been booked anticipating the usual delays...but when I rang twenty minutes later to see when it would be coming I was told I had to wait until four as originally arranged. For thinking hey, I have oatcakes and water and there's sunshine and a rustic bench in a quiet car park corner, not that bad away to spend forty mins. I was very grateful for the despatch message at five to however, and even more so for the phone call half an hour later from Vince to say the driver had finally arrived after trying to find me at various hospital locations as the city cab company has a contract to take me to and from my previous renal site and refuses to take note of changes.

I give thanks we were both good natured about the mix up! For a companionably silent journey home and for a slightly raised back seat so I could see the other side of the other estuary, a herd of sleek black shiny cows and a buzzard with an unusually wide wingspan (close to a normal one for reference). For memories of seeing vultures on holidays in Crete and Menorca, and longing wistfully...though I'd settle for a day out on the other side of the other estuary right now! Actually no, right now, invincible or not, I'm grateful to be horizontal on my sofa with no plans to move much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics