Thursday 10 September 2020

Uneventful

If you have cancer that reasserts itself there can be hints about not doing something well enough or doing something wrong. Modern Western medicine can be too glib about 'never events' and patients having failure of this or that, whilst alternatives are equally pressurising in their own way with heavy doses of faith required along with miracle cure so the discourses of defectiveness I deal with every day can be debilitating in themselves. I give thanks for friends and family members who still treat me as if I'm fully human. For September 10th coming round again to remind me being here twelve years after a diagnosis of metastatic cancer is quite a success as far as failure goes! For memories of some of the rather special ways I have marked this day in the past.

Nothing really in the way of celebratory commemoration today, just some mixed emotions and a quiet pat on my own back, but I give thanks for staying awake after a poor night's sleep and an early start ready for a plumber to come and fit my new shower, bathroom basin waste and kitchen tap. These should not only add to speedy saleability of the property when I become a never event, but also enhance my remaining life in the meantime and I'm grateful for them all...but most especially the tap as so far it's the one I've had most occasion to use and appreciate. I can turn it on and off without artificial assistance and/or pain and it neither drips in the sink nor leaks underneath! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics