Tuesday 10 April 2012

Out for the count

I give thanks for a trip to the outside world...it was big and shiny and moved around a lot! Gratitude for the delights of typical traditional April weather...diagonal streaks of darker grey as sharp showers fall out to sea, the sudden whitening of hail, sparkle of sunshine on wet leaves after. Laura took me for a little drive and scenic potter to a teapot and scones. It was the furthest I've walked so far and felt like miles but the sun shone on us all the time we were out of the car and even dried a seat for us when I needed a rest on the way back. I felt a bit of a wuss until we counted the days since my operation and then I thought of myself as amazingly powerful and strong!

The nurse is coming to take bloods tomorrow for the lab to quantify my amazingness...but although the medics set great store by the levels of this and that as far as I'm concerned it's how I feel in myself that counts. I've been fit as a fiddle and miserable as sin, and at death's door and perfectly content. I may be stuck to the sofa this evening due to exhaustion following exertions, kidney failure and/or cancer, because I've had a serious operation not long ago or because I'm just laughably lazy but honestly as long as I can extract some pleasure from horizontal inactivity I don't care at all.

I also give thanks that the swelling and bruising is going down. Parts of me looked like an OTT CSI special effect for a while...or the kind of injury they warn you might find the images disturbing of on TV. Even though you know it's natural in the circumstances it's rather disconcerting when it's you. For the sight of hedgerows lush with spring flowers, and for getting my hands on a TV paper not full of soap updates. I actually went into a shop for this...that's how desperate my need!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I always think of you as amazingly powerful and strong! And I think it's perfectly normal to feel sorry for oneself, I do it quite often, and then give myself a kick up the arse!

    Hope you enjoy your t.v., I'm off to get settled down now for C.S.I. By the way, I've decided I really like Ted,

    Goodnight my friend
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you'll begin to feel better soon, glad the sun came out for your walk today, take it easy and be kind to yourself - just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you
    lots of love
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics