Friday 13 April 2012

Research has shown...

I've decided to do some wishing today. There's things I want more of...don't you?

May I have more compassion
May I have more tolerance
May I have more generosity
May I have more opportunities to do good to others
May I have more forgiveness

Meanwhile, I'm extremely thankful for what I've got...

I'm grateful for completing the two tasks I set myself yesterday pm...brushing my hair and washing up!

For finding an article in Positive News I'd missed before about the Charter for Compassion. Look it up if you've not heard of it either...all kinds of interesting stuff there. If that seems like too much trouble, or perhaps a bit 'religious' for you just now click on this instead...which is coming from a different angle but brief and useful too...
http://neuroethicscanada.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/the-science-of-compassion-2/

It made me realise about the neurological benefits of merely thinking about doing a good or kindly thing even if you don't actually do it. Now I'm not suggesting you stop doing the caring things you do but it made me understand more about meaning well...and then not following through. For me personally it's not nearly as much of a buzz as actually doing something helpful (nor is it actually as beneficial to anyone else apart from yourself!) and I began to wonder if there was anything else helpful to others I could be doing right now and got one of my charity craft projects out - a simple garter stitch scarf in multicoloured yarn - and knitted a couple of rows. It's so easy to excuse ourselves...I'm too busy, too broke, too tired...or even I do enough already. But how many of us really have no more room for a little more charity in our lives and hearts?

I'm grateful for all the happy heads that sun is shining on, for earth that's grateful for rain. I'm grateful that three weeks ago I was lying on an operating table having organs pulled out of me like a string of sausages and I'm still here to tell these tales. I know that many fall on uncomprehending or unheeding ears...someone actually described this blog as being about my 'battle with cancer' the other day which mystified me somewhat and I apologise to anyone who thinks that's what it is as you must feel sorely shortchanged on gory details! There are some fine blogs on battles with cancer, much praise to my friends who keep or have kept them. This is about finding joy...though the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Neither do you have any spiritual leanings at all to be aware that there is more that you could be doing to make *your* world a better place. I'm grateful to my far from fluffy friend Jared for posting this link on Facebook. Don't let the title put you off (it nearly did me, though the coincidence with what I'd been reading earlier made me read it anyway!), likewise the apparent subject matter...they are examples, OK?
http://www.staplenews.com/home/2012/4/12/the-science-of-hate-self-hate.html

1 comment:

  1. I often wish for the same sort of things too, although I know I'm not a bad person I really wish I could stop thinking out aloud! My opinions don't always get approval! Haha,

    Glad to hear you got your hair brushed, just think of all that exercise your arms are getting!

    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics