Saturday 14 April 2012

Reap what you sow

First of all thanks to Dave Lamb. So many evenings he keeps me company watching people eat and makes me chuckle to boot! Some of the people he comments on are pretty droll as well...but it's important to remember how ever deluded or even downright obnoxious they may seem, they are not the ones with only flat screen friends to dine with. People in empty homes shouldn't cast aspersions...

For years I've struggled with all the enforced solitude that comes from not being the way people like people to be, and of course the more I'm on my own the worse I am at company but I realised something this morning that made me feel a bit better. I can be grateful that the people I'd like to see are somewhere they'd rather be, doing things that they prefer. That is actually comforting.

On the other hand I've just read another article about how exercise is good for depression...especially doing it with a friend. I can't fault the truth behind it but why oh why don't people think what they are saying sometimes? How many thousands of isolated immobile people are going to feel even more miserable after reading that? It's like showing a plate of nourishing food to a starving person and telling them they'd be healthier if they ate like that...

I'm grateful I have less pain, and that sometimes for a few minutes performing basic tasks doesn't seem like an impossibly arduous chore. Sometimes I even imagine myself going outside and posting a letter at the end of the terrace. In your post op notes they say it will do you good to walk round the house and garden but I'm not sure which one they have in mind!

I'm grateful for finally finding more info on a story I first heard on QI some time ago. It's true, and, I think, hilariously funny despite the fact that some of the people in it came to slightly untimely deaths. I hope Gladys and Harry got to stay together and continue having lots more age inappropriate fun. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer's_Rogues,_Villains_and_Eccentrics#section_2

I'm grateful for lots of lovely refreshing rain (and hail and thunder and lightning!)

I'm grateful to Laura for bringing me some bits of shopping and doing a few chores about the place, decorating and otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. Gratitude today (because of the weather) I bothered to drive out 7:30pm last night, to do the shopping having sailed right past Tesco, and forgot earlier in the day! Grateful I didn't watch the Grand National, for my electric fire, and a computer I can watch a good British comedy romance film on, with Steven Fry, Colin Firth and Jack Dee called Fourplay. Bed earlier tonight I think, 10 to 9 and yawning already! M'mmm must go look for some chocolate before pressing start. Sleep well Angel, supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Love and hugs Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Angel, don't even bother with the film aforementioned it was a total flop beginning to end, and not a bit like it said on the box, gratitude I only paid 50p in a charity shop! I've had more fun and games shortening a pair of jeans when the machine decided to make cabbages underneath!
    Promise not to post it on to you Angel, a British rom/com it was not. Love & hugs Pat xx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics