Tuesday 17 April 2012

Stranger in the night

It's funny, sometimes (like Sunday) I have a tremendous appetite for food and sleep and other days like yesterday I'm awake and apparently running on air. Gratitude for getting some sedentary chores done...internet things, paperwork and also phone calls. I left four messages for four different people about a variety of matters that seemed somewhat urgent to me and one of them actually replied! Gratitude to Karen Green for her cheerful support over the years...she reckons I need to see a GP to have something checked out so I'll have to get my lazy bottom off the settee and into some jeans and a cab later. All for the best I'm sure. If I waited til I actually felt up to going out, it could be a very long time til I do...

Gratitude for more 'typical' April weather...it must be the first month we've had the weather we grew up with for several years! I know it can be unpleasant to be caught in a heavy rain or hail shower if not adequately dressed but unless you get soaked and have to stay wet it can be refreshing, invigorating even... I love to see the clouds scudding across the sky, the sudden changes of light...And at night, through a securely latched but slightly open window, to hear the wind swishing the trees and rattling things, hurling rain against the glass.

For a time in the small hours this was mostly drowned out by my upstairs neighbour making one of her occasional visits home to test her stereo. Louder and louder it became, audible even through earplugs and a hat. But after a while I realised I could hear another noise too, a restrained but insistent knocking on her door. It was one of those well spoken young hippy chaps from the flat below the flat below mine asking her politely to turn it down. I said it was noisy, didn't I? In her befuddled state it took him a few goes to explain who he was and what he wanted but eventually she grasped the notion and complied! Much thanks for this very acceptable turn of events.

I'm grateful too for more or less mastering a rather tricky urostomy chore. If you don't have one you don't want to know. Or put it this way if you don't have one and you do want to know I think that's a little bit strange!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics