Wednesday 11 April 2012

Winsome

My hospital discharge letter suggested blood tests 1-2 weeks afterwards and when a community nurse came for a mandatory check I was managing the stoma OK 2 days later we worked out today would be a good day to fit into the timescale and avoid their busy Bank Holiday schedules. We checked on the calendar for the date and I rang my GP practice requesting the appropriate form be sent to the team and the receptionist and I worked out what we thought ought to be on it as no one had actually said...

Last Wednesday the nurses' office rang up and said they were running late that day and weren't sure if they could fit me in. I explained they didn't need to. Yesterday they rang up and said they knew I was due for bloods today but did I know why I was down for a Tuesday visit too? I suggested it might be that, despite repeated explanations as to what I was going into hospital for, the implication on my need for nephrostomy dressing changes might have been misinterpreted... or forgotten... or ignored....

This morning a community nurse rang up and introduced herself slowly and carefully...Yes? I said. 'I've been asked by the GP to come and take some blood from you...did you know about that?' Sometimes I'm not always as polite as I might be...but I give thanks that she accepted my later apology.

When I went out with Laura yesterday we spotted that a hose had been recently attached to the leaking overflow directing the water down the downpipe instead of through the 'repaired' flat roof. Gratitude to whoever came up with this bit of diagonal thinking...

However, today there was a bill for my share of said flat roof 'repair'...without a summary of rights and obligations but with threats of legal action over non-payment of previous service charges also without this document. I made a long phone call to Leasehold Advisory Service just to check I (and even Pat) had not overlooked some special loophole that meant demands for payment didn't have to be made in the prescribed manner if your name was Martyn Ashcroft or you lived in Torquay and played golf for instance but they assured me it's not negotiable, debatable, or in anyway related to the reasonableness of the parties concerned or the charges contained therein. It is the law and he can't take me to court if he's not acting within it himself. You might think I'm being petty here but it's the only part of this whole horrid situation about which right and wrong is clear and unambiguous. He can slither and dither and wheel and deal and bully and badger but the fact remains, no likey no cheque!

Anyway I'm exhausted after an hour or so's admin. I give thanks for a cup of Earl Grey tea and a couple of delicious oat biscuits left over from a Christmas present from Amy which sufficed for breakfast and lunch, for the zombie idleness now causing my arms to stretch out for remote control and cosy throw, for having a remote control and cosy throw and for a pretty golden dawn this morning which seems such a long time ago!

4 comments:

  1. Angel, if prayers were answered then there would be much gratitude on my part, your pesky landlord would have caught his foot in a 'gopher hole' on the golf course and done himself a mischief. Now lateral or diagonal thinking apart, better that a plumber or heating engineer depending on the situation of said overflow, repairs the reason. My mind abounds with costly implications of redirected water, when the hose freezes in the winter!
    Take it easy my friend, love and gentle ((hugs)) Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me smile today whilst nodding my head in agreement! I'm not always the politest of people when my patience is tried either, weather it's down to lack of communication or just ignorance, but I do know how to appologise, and I realise mistakes will always be made, I suppose were only human after all?

    Enjoy your biscuits they sound lovely, and must have had a good date on them being from Christmas, wouldn't've lasted till boxing day in my house haha

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't wish harm on my landlord Pat...that won't do anyone any good including you! Wish him a change of heart if you like, or an epiphany...

    Thank to everyone for kindly comments, sorry I'm so tired and can't reply to you all but please take note I'm going to put the moderation back. Not the hard to read letters but the thing that holds the message til I've approved. There's been things that have sounded a bit spammy to me...

    Have a happy day...

    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gabi, great to hear your spirit is in tact. I am having similar pains with a pesky vet who did not do the right thing. Apart from that I am recovering somewhat from the shock of my pathology and will get back online soon. My spirits have been buoyed by kindly comments and emails from strangers as well. It all helps. Love to you, Juanita xx

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics