Tuesday 14 May 2013

Raisins to be cheerful

Thirty four years ago today my son was born and I give thanks that he's turned out so well...by my standards anyway! I know I didn't turn out well by my own family's standards and I was often told what a pig's ear I was making of motherhood, but I think he's quite a silk purse actually, in an alternative upcycled sort of way. It amuses me when straighter sorts hint that his dreads are dreadful given the grief I've been given for my own unruly hair over the years. 'Speaking as a social anthropologist' (a phrase much bandied about when I was dabbling in the necessary degree) I understand the conventional cultural nuances regarding 'untamed' and 'unconventional' hair and am grateful I can muster some compassion when confronted by this accumulated prejudice and bigotry.



Today a physiotherapist came to see me about my neurological damage...it's not a situation when 'better late than never' is technically accurate but I gave thanks that the physio I saw about my arthritis thought it/I was still worth it. And that his colleague was a guitar playing hill walking woman who thus really could comprehend and feel sorry for my loss!

I give thanks for a lovely omelette for my lea with potatoes, onions, mushrooms, pepper and cheese and a nice bit of salad on the side... And for knowing Carole Arab...though I do miss her having known her, if you know what I mean. For an episode of Coast with the Cuillins in (sigh) and a view of the local rail line(smile).

So where do the raisins come in? Part stew rhubarb with a little water and some big juicy Lexia or flame raisins. Leave it to stand for a few hours stirring now and then, and the sweetness comes out of the raisins and the rhubarby water plumps them up. You shouldn't need any sugar, but if it's a little tart and you're making a little crumble (couldn't resist!) add some snippets of marzipan to the fruit mixture. You will not be able to resist the finished article...you will be cheerful indeed!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Bob, what a lovely young man !!!love love the hair and uniqueness xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Happy Birthday Bob!

    It's a lovely natrual looking photo, your lea sounded good, did a double take on that and then realised what you meant! :)
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics