Tuesday 14 January 2014

Good in parts

Hearing I was in a choir, someone asked me the other day if I had a good voice. A reasonable question, obviously, but the answer has to be no, I don't particularly...though it's not especially bad either, it's just an average corps de ballet soprano. And that really is a lot of the point in going along, especially when it feels like the last straw in the evening of an already exhausting day. To be aware of being a little part that contributes to something more than the sum of is something for anyone to be grateful for (and even more so if your experience  of 'part' is mostly as in 'spare'!) You put three fingers on a keyboard and play a chord - yep, great! But three people each put their fingers on a different note and play together to make one... that is something else again! Oh, and when there's a bass part and the men sing those really deep notes - that's amazing and I find it hard not to clap or cry! So yes, even though I'm really more tired and achey today than is practical, I'm giving thanks I went to choir.

One thing that made especially hard to get up off the sofa last night was the delicious mansion pie I'd just eaten. Mansion pie? Like cottage only posher! Everyone has talents, and mine don't include mashing potato but I make a mean bottom, if you'll pardon the expression, and this one had quorn mince cooked with onions, leeks and carrots in V8 juice, so it was exceedingly good even before I added Tesco bubble and squeak for the top, (which had been on special offer and seemed worth a try). I give great thanks in saying that it was!

I was grateful for the pretty dawn this morning and the warm sunshine streaming in my windows well into the afternoon...and that it turned grey before I felt I was missing a day! And I'm grateful it can't be many hours now until an early night...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics