Saturday 25 January 2014

Underdone, overdone

Mmm! I give thanks for my delicious pie last night - spicy red lentils and veg topped with Tesco bubble and squeak - an excellent combination of do-it-yourself and convenience food! I'm grateful that after polishing off a couple of portions I managed to find a safe place to push the plate out of reach before falling deeply asleep!

Comfy living 21st century westerners talking about 'overdoing' things jars with me a bit, as most of us have little idea what it's like to push our bodies far for fun, let alone for necessity. Nonetheless, nowadays it's not just the effort and pain at the time of exertion that causes difficulty, but the even harder aftermath, so I'm very grateful all I have to do for the next couple of days is 'take care of myself happily' as one translation of metta goes. I'm better at deferred pleasure than deferred pain (this is why I can a) keep chocolate in the house and b) not go mad with a credit card!) so knowing I have to 'pay' afterwards for a day out when it's been for something not obviously intrinsically fun like attending to medical matters can be a little irksome. I give great thanks for my ability to find pleasure in unlikely situations, and when I can't for the opportunity to practise equanimity.

I give thanks for the music on my mp3 player for enhancing the journey, and (in accordance with a belated New Year's Resolution made a couple of weeks ago) listening to a lot more J J Cale (again!) And also, (still!) my new bargain boots! They are Tamaris snow boots, somewhat chunky and punky and age inappropriate...so clearly perfect for me! I look forward to them taking me out for a an appointment free womble one fine day soon...or even a not so fine one!

Oh and I'm grateful for a couple of parcels reaching me today as much by luck and goodwill as normal delivery methods!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics