Monday 31 March 2014

Must see

I gave thanks for this bouquet of pretty clouds yesterday evening. I'm grateful for all the beauty in the world - sometimes it can be hard to see but when it fills your window it helps!


I'm grateful for more exquisite birdsong very early before dawn...for the sight of a dog trying to drink from a running tap by the beach, a wooden toy ark on a top floor window sill and a tanker seeming to float above a misty sea. And for the sight of a very casually dressed vicar (apart from the telltale neckline!) at the bus stop with headphones and iplayer on. Do you think he was listening to hymns, or sermons?

I'm grateful I'm a bit of a Buddhist - all things in moderation as they say. And yes, both religious and rational folk think I'm quite delusional, but you need neither a belief in a God nor admiration of a Hadron Collider to discover the reality of attachment causing suffering, though the three are not mutually exclusive either, of course... It's easy to dismiss the logic when the things you're attached to are to hand - good health, and a glass of something to raise to it maybe, material comforts, loved one(s), youth, freedom, a role to play you feel has worth in some way - but when our toys fall out of the pram we're all too easily inclined to tantrum or tears. I give thanks the version of humanity I know as 'my self' is regularly reminded of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics