Sunday 10 August 2014

Wet connections

I've seen snow snow, and snowdrop snow, hailstone snow and fallen blossom petal snow... But today I gave thanks for seeing white geese clustering thickly in drifts like snow for the first time ever. They were in a field so destined for roasting I'm sure but I've been grateful for seeing lots of wild ones round here too, flying in squawky skeins or bottoms up rummaging in ponds and with, one hopes, a better chance of getting away!

I give thanks for the wild and squally rain showers. After realising that unpredictable British weather helps uncommunicative British strangers break the conversational ice; and that summer downpours release negative ions so that those conscious of their positive effect will enjoy heavy rain in a similar way to waves and waterfalls; this afternoon it also dawned on me that getting thoroughly and suddenly soaked usually brings folk into the present moment so there's more opportunity to be on the same page as those around you and have a moment of pure contact, however brief. Today I've been particularly aware and in awe of the connections in those exchanged rueful grins and spontaneous, maybe wordless, humour or sympathy.  I give great thanks I am blessed with being carless so I'm not swooshing by oblivious to ensure everything but the stress and strain of driving in the rain.

I give thanks that I made a mistake with the museum opening times in one of the very wettest times of the day, otherwise I'd have been unlikely to take tea and yarg sandwiches in a closed fishmonger's to a reiki drum music  accompaniment... Also for a leisure centre's unusual arrangement of a cafe right beside the swimming pool with not even a steamed up window in between. Ideal for parents and paedophiles I'm sure, but for cold wet pedestrians too - even the tables and chairs were warm! I'm grateful the museum was worth the wait as well...

I give thanks for the play of natural and artificial light in, on and through the church stonework and windows opposite...and for some brilliant bell ringing on beautifully clear pitched bells.

I give also give thanks for giving up on uploading photos tonight. I'm not sure if it's the slightly erratic Internet connection or a problem with one of the physical ones, but after three attempts at writing the words I'll be grateful if one set just stays in place!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics