Friday 3 October 2014

Maintaining one's position

Some mornings staying in bed seems the only sensible course of inaction, so today I was grateful I could do that for a little while at least, giving thanks for the tea in my mug and the pretty pattern on it. I was grateful for the insights into the human mind that a dip into Facebook's news feed can give. We're all so keen to identify ourselves by identifying with those who share our opinions and preferences - Don't you like this? Hate them? Think this is sad, cute, despicable, funny? For a while there I began to formulate an alternative view of how we might behave...but you can all give thanks I've forgotten what it was now anyhow!

I'm grateful for only spending fifteen minutes in a queue to the DWP to ask for a new letter to take to appointments for reimbursement of fares, and that the advisors I spoke to were more sympathetic and humorous than the young woman in the hospital office who only just stops short of insisting I have 'benefit scrounger' tattooed on my forehead to validate my request (at my own expense of course).

And then eventually I was grateful I overrode the overriding need for rest and got up in time to do what had to be done, and even a few things that didn't like popping into a cafe with Linda as we happened to find ourselves in the same part of town at the same time. There are ladies who lunch, I believe, whereas I'm one who merely munches... teacakes, biscuits, scones... Anything to fill the gap where chocolate cake used to be!

I'm grateful to Jenny for making my home so clean, and that, by remaining horizontal, consuming leftover food and recorded documentaries, it looks set to stay that way for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics