Wednesday 15 October 2014

Old and grey

This morning I was grateful for lying snug under the covers listening to the sound of the wind howling through the gap where the window was open and assorted chirpy birdsong. I gave thanks for remembering a busy night in my dreams - writing a postgrad dissertation on sexual perceptions of clothing, fixing up a dilapidated tower block with a very friendly chap who was a dead ringer for a young Bob Marley and various escapades in a sort of Jane Bond Willis role. Just before I awoke I'd been about to be apprehended in some adventurous espionage and, as my previous disguise had been as an old lady, I was wondering if there was enough difference from how I looked normally to get away without being recognised! What with all that, all the usual bodily malfunctions and something very sore the matter with my foot, it's no wonder I needed to stay late in bed...

I give thanks for eventually getting up, for making a tasty omelette for my lunch, for washing up and cleaning up the kitchen, making my bed and then lying on it! I give thanks for the grey and rainy weather all morning and most of the afternoon which made snoozing extra easy...and for the astonishing brightness when the sun broke through the clouds.

I give thanks for discovering you can make a very acceptable dessert with pudding rice cooked in vanilla rice milk...and that it's even more so with a blob of homemade blueberry jam. I'm always on the look out ways to reduce the potassium intake but it gets harder as the temperature drops and a menu with limited potatoes, parsnips, tomatoes, beans and greens becomes more challenging. I can't get my head round how Christmas can be without nuts, chocolate and dried fruit at all...Oh, well, there's always cheese and crackers!

I give thanks for being a bit crafty and finishing off a short length of this Jenny and I started on Monday...


If you'd like to 'try baby bunting' (sorry - couldn't resist!)... I used oddments of assorted DK yarn and 3.75mm/size 9 needles.

Leaving a tail for sewing up cast on 13 sts and knit first and every alternate row. On second and following even rows knit first 2 and last 2 stitches together until last decrease row when there are 3 stitches left. Knit the first stitch and then knit the last two together, passing the first stitch over and pulling yarn through. Thread this end onto a needle and through the loops on one side of the triangle so that you have a 'tail' at each end of the top for attaching to the tape.

The tape is made by casting on 3 stitches and working in stocking stitch for as long as you want to (or can!). This naturally curls under at the edges so when you sew the triangles along one side the stitches don't show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics