Sunday 12 October 2014

Snakes on a sofa

I'm grateful for a relatively uneventful Grand Prix so I could pretend to be watching it but get on with knitting some snake. This is my favourite project at the moment but the yarn and needles are finer than it's comfy for me to work with so I can only do a little bit at a time.


I'm grateful that tomorrow should be the last day of changing by bed covers for autumn. I'm only doing one bed but so far the job is on its second day and still not finished, however I give thanks that I've managed at last to get the components out of storage and get the cover on my duvet! I'm very grateful I only have to do this latter task a few times a year as a) for the warmer part of it I don't use a duvet and b) for the bit that I do I also use sheets having discovered that if you don't properly have one pair of hands, let alone access to two, bed making and unmaking is easier if you change sheets not those pesky covers. It's still pretty hard and it's something I'd ask a friend to help me with if I had those sort of friends, though perhaps I should be grateful I don't think I do since I used to ask the ones I thought I had...and then I found I hadn't, if you see what I mean. 

People tend to have pretty finely defined definitions of whom they consider worthy of their time and assistance, whether for financial gain or just that warm fuzzy feeling. Family usually come first of course, both on the giving and receiving end, but for those who weren't raised in a nurturing and supportive environment it can be hard getting the hang of where generous intentions lie and where folk are just seeming to be nice for their own benefit, I'm really grateful I'm beginning to be able to spot this in retrospect at least! I give thanks for forgiving myself for the many mistakes I've made and hope that the folk I've irritated or made feel awkward by unreasonable expectations can forgive me too...

Anyway I'm grateful I did the knitting and food prep before wrestling with the linens because I feel like going back to bed quite soon now. I'm grateful I can sleep on the 'sofa' - which is a bed - neighbourly noise permitting, and that for the last few days some of the noisiest haven't been there. 

I'm grateful for a pretty card from Volunteering in Health in gratitude for the gift of the blanket and for the sight of all today's the F1 drivers having a sort of group hug before the race...wouldn't be lovely if they did it before every one, not just when there's been an accident? 

2 comments:

  1. You got me thinking about the phrase 'A friend in need is a friend indeed' and exactly what that meant. Apparently a potential origin and version of this proverb was known by the 3rd century BC. Quintus Ennius wrote: 'Amicu certus in re incerta cernitur'. This translates from the Latin as 'a sure friend is known when in difficulty'. Which is very true. I have been asking a few favors lately and it has been interesting who has responded and who has stayed quiet.

    Hope you find lots to be grateful for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always grateful when people say no...instead of saying yes and not meaning it, or doing whatever it is in a resentful fashion. And not getting help you think you need is often an opportunity to find out you didn't need it after all which is always a bonus!

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics