Friday 26 February 2016

Phone company

Brr...that's a cold looking sea it's been today! Much as I love it, I give thanks there's been no call to do my French lieutenant's woman impression....

Instead I give thanks for applying my mardy self to various chores and creative projects before deciding a late lunch and a spot of recorded TV might, if not actually cheer me up, at least distract me from my gloominess...and thus discovering my Sky TV wasn't working which was indeed a great distraction I can tell you!

Most of my appliances (like their owner) are ancient and battle scarred but can be coaxed into performing more than adequately through faith, hope and cheerful drudgery...however there was an error message I'd not seen before and none of my usual tricks and dodges helped and I had to do that thing I hate to do because it triggers all kinds of latent bigotry, and call the helpline. I'm one of those folk who always believe they can fix everything so I give thanks the problem defeated the advisor too...and for negotiating a deal for an engineer's visit, answering the call closure question about anything else he could do by saying 'Tell me how to cancel the appointment if I need to because I still think I can do it myself!'

As it's a couple of weeks away, I was mentally giving thanks for DVDs, internet TV and a trip away during that time whilst digging out an ancient Freeview box, scart lead and so on...when I had an urge to try plugging the Sky box in just one more time...and it worked again. Woohoo! See...I can fix (almost) everything!

I give thanks that Bob found the old phones he left out to bring but thought he'd left behind, so I've managed to fill another envelope to send off to Kidney Research...I give thanks to the friends who've used their working ones to say hello today...

I give thanks for snug earplugs to block out eruptions of a long rumbling nearby row last night...for warm bathwater to soothe me, a firm mattress to support me, a downy duvet to give me a hug and a valiant attempt at meditation to let go of the hard dark thoughts that lie on the other side of my thankfulness...and I wouldn't mind more of the same tonight but I'd prefer not the first part, if possible universe please?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics