Wednesday 17 February 2016

Angel building

I give thanks today wasn't all about cancer which, given the purpose of the trip I had some misgivings might be the case. Subjects were touched on that dragged us into dreadful memories, but though we all listened nobody wallowed and the focus group retained its focus... I give thanks for meeting people who agreed that despite the loss of body parts and functionality, hopes, dreams, lifestyle, choices etc etc something indefinable and treasured has been gained.

I give thanks I'd already decided the best way to deal with that awful round of self introductions was to say my name and then add '...and I hate this bit!' as it turned out the room was full of coordinators of this and lead spokespersons for that... and it was astonishing and flattering that someone at CRUK thought my voice was worth a peak time train fare to join in. I give thanks for being welcomed and leaving feeling a good job had been done.

I give thanks for free WiFi on the railway...Great Western indeed! For not only not having to change platforms changing trains on the outward journey, but having time to get a cuppa and a joy of heaven to earth come down (otherwise known as an almond croissant) to fuel me for a much needed snooze in a quiet carriage before dealing with the demands of the big city. For a surprising number of buzzards near Reading (yes, I did look twice and no, they weren't planes) For successfully using a big red bus for the first time for many many years and the first time ever on my own, plus negotiating a mad 3 line tube dash back when the session turned out to be finishing later than I'd been told...oh, and for the stylish architectural details in the building which were functional too when you'd worked out how!

I give thanks my bumpkiness is almost back in the country now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics