Wednesday 3 February 2016

Turning points

I give thanks for turning my mattress...or perhaps to be more accurate I should say I give thanks my mattress is turned! Coming up to mattress turning time I'm always racking my brains for a way a spare pair of hands might be inveigled to help, but always end up thinking 'Oh for goodness sake woman it would be easier to do it yourself!' and always manage somehow... eventually...with one and a half hands and much cursing and huffing and puffing!

I give thanks for my new heated mattress protector picked up in a sale recently and now finally installed. It's been a mild winter so far and you might think a hammock to sling between the trees in the communal gardens might have been a better investment but I thought the warmth might be soothing when my joints are sore and so far it seems to be so. I've yet to complete the extension lead challenge so that I can have both heat and light simultaneously but home wasn't built in a day eh?

I give thanks the mop up bin collection team have at last emptied our misused recycling bins and even removed some of the side waste, which of course they're not obliged to do as side waste isn't supposed to exist. I give thanks for being able to use them for their intended purpose today...and for not having to look at so much literal garbage.

Today was the last day I could realistically expect to hear some good news about something. It's been a long hard time not coming this news and I give thanks for people's tolerance of my intolerance of the uncertainty. Also for the remarkable human capacity to ignore warnings and signs and carry on down roads of delusion towards mirages... until we're finally ready to crash and burn in the desert I guess. While I was spinning through the air waiting to hit the sand I was grateful to hear about some other hopeful anticipation being misplaced and premature...because if you're going to have to look at metaphorical garbage you might as well have a whole heap of it at once I suppose.

I give thanks for more opportunities to practice acceptance of what isn't meant to be, to let go of expectations and preferences of outcomes and to face unpalatable truths with equanimity...and if you fully believe that you're kidding yourself as much as I have been...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics