Wednesday 4 January 2017

Lessons in love

While others set themselves the challenge of Dry January, I give thanks for adapting the trend and purchasing a small bottle of dry oloroso sherry to combat the doloroso. As the units in which I consume alcohol are (literally) sips I think this can be counted as self care...and I give thanks for plenty of nearby reminders how easily this assumption can descend into deluded over consumption and to keep myself in check.

It may be coincidence, but I give thanks for becoming relaxed and dozy after tea so that I was soon tucked up in bed and starting to snore in spite of being so sore. For sleeping well and long, and being relatively nimble and energetic today. Queue quip: If you have a relative as nimble and energetic as I am you should maybe persuade them to get medical attention ;-)

Despite a tasty lentil curry and rice last night I'm not trying a month as a vegan either, and I give thanks for Welsh rarebit for lunch... and afternoon tea! No of course it's not just cheese on toast...how could you think such a thing? I give thanks for the recycling bins being emptied on the scheduled day and carting down two big waiting bagfuls to tip in them before they fill up again. For creating a puzzle to send to my incarcerated penfriend.  For having a bit of a sort and tidy and coming across a lost book of stamps... and thus deciding it would certainly be cheaper, and possibly even quicker to write to a government department than wait for them to answer the phone...

In addition to this amusement I  give thanks for having a muse. A good friend is going to their mother's funeral tomorrow. It's that time of life for many I guess, and it always sets me thinking as although I was long estranged from my mother when she died and didn't hear in time to even consider going to go to her funeral, it still moved me deeply to learn of her passing. I've also been writing today to a lady with children older than me who I met in hospital and who, if the doctors are to be believed, may not be with us for long. She is one of those precious mother aged women I've encountered who remind me I would have been a perfectly acceptable daughter if I'd just been accepted as perfect in my own way. I'm grateful for their kindness and tolerance and appreciation, their walking with me a while on life's path. And I give thanks somehow as I've stumbled along it I've managed to get the hang of loving unconditionally... including myself of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics