Tuesday 19 December 2017

Faking it

I give thanks for renal failure...as if my kidney had been working well I'd not have tried to make a fake Christmas cake/pudding without sultanas, currants, raisins and nuts. It was my mission to produce one for the dessert in our festive meal last night. Being a fan of the normal sort I wasn't holding out much hope for tastebud joy...and as Rachel doesn't like the traditional versions she wasn't either! But we both loved it and I shall be making it again...if I can remember how, of course, as predictably I couldn't just follow a recipe from the dietician's leaflet. Tinned pineapple was involved, glacé cherries and cherries in Kirsch with a few dried cranberries soaked in it too, mixed peel, crystallised ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice, a little brown sugar plus honey and ginger cordial...and egg and fat and flour...oh and a light basting with sherry and more of the kirsch for a couple of days after it was cooked

I give thanks for my gift of a hand crocheted hat, made to order by special request so I could tear off the wrapping paper with genuine delight and glee!

I give thanks for a slow speed, low lying sort of day giving my attention to only the most essential or irresistible tasks - including a little bit of curtain sewing and rug latch hooking. As I'm indoors so much nowadays it's a shame I can't afford luxurious furnishings (or a luxurious home for that matter) but I give great thanks for what I can achieve with budget materials, creative ideas and crafting skills and for how much pleasure I get from that. I give thanks for no cooking as there were enough leftovers around for three tasty dishes plus snacks in between...and thus for minimal washing up as well!

I give thanks for less pain today, and more opportunities to rest when it's been going on. For a pretty sunset sky for the second evening in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics