Thursday 21 December 2017

So this is solstice

I give thanks for the turning of year back to the light again. Like many folk I struggle with the long dark nights...though I give thanks down our way we've been lucky to have a surprising amount of brightness during the ever briefer days. I give thanks I can derive a lot of pleasure from certain qualities of light and, as living up here becomes ever harder, I can still appreciate the views it gives me of sea and sky and trees. They can still make me catch my breath in wonder...

Like a lot of people I also struggle with finding the joy at Christmas, though I give thanks unlike a lot of people I don't see a lot of people so don't have to put a jolly face on and pretend! I give thanks I now know Santa's running late again this year so I can stop creaking down the stairs each day hoping for a parcel delivery card...and finding bad news on the mat instead. Apart from a few hours here and there it's been a mostly minging eighteen months or so, and the new year is already lining up lots of things to dread, so I give thanks for keeping on keeping reminding myself to stay mindful in the moment and appreciate what I can.

For doing my Shiatsu, and a round of Salute to the Sun. Well, it would be rude not to wouldn't it? My hands have been too sore for fine motor skills but I give thanks I've had a go at some silk patchwork made from scraps from a richer woman's cutting table...before deciding I was making a right pig's ear of it and best to stop and make some pig free sausage rolls instead. Doesn't matter what they look like, they go down a treat no matter how badly bodged together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics