Friday 15 March 2019

Fifty-four

Yay, I give thanks for a better day at the office. First of all I persuaded them to put me back on an afternoon slot for my treatment next week. When I have a bad night like last night I often don't get back to sleep until 6 am so being ready to leave at 8.15 is a tall ask. I also talked to the lovely lady who does the scheduling about manipulating them for my trip in a couple of week's time, and the tea trolley had all sorts of free treats you could choose - popcorn, pear or clementine, flapjack bites, mini Mr Kipling style cakes.. I think the idea is to tempt a jaded renal appetite with morsels of this and that but I could have woofed the whole basketful no bother!

I give thanks for a visit from a nice renal dietician - not the one who talks to you in a condescending way. This one suggested a bit more protein in my diet as that comes out in the wash as well, but was on the whole pleased with my bloods and my account of juggling goodness and 'sin'...I seem to have found the right balance if I can sneak in the very occasional slice of toast and peanut butter, chocolate biscuit or dollop of ready made mash without it showing in the numbers!

I give thanks for a couple of members of staff discovering I have a functioning brain and a sense of humour. This is emergency ward dialysis so lots of patients are semi comatose for most of the time so you can't blame them for not noticing before. I wouldn't have minded a bit of comatose myself but it's a bit bustly and it's hard to find a position in which to relax. One of them has said they'll see if they can find a chair free for me next time as I start out comfy sitting up on the bed but soon slump down and of course can't push myself up again with my arms. I give thanks for some very interesting taxi drivers to chat to today too.

I give thanks for watching a bit more of the Netflix offering Safe which I was finding a very enjoyable distraction from realities - until one of the character's said she had to go because her son was having dialysis. I don't remember ever hearing a line like that in anything before - what a bizarre coincidence! Reminded me of reading a detective novel late into the night while waiting for results of a scan to see if I had brain tumours. One of the people in that developed the same symptoms as me and died of one! I give thanks though I am very tired and sore I now have two days off  - woohoo! Oh and for making my supper for today yesterday. Get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics