Tuesday 18 August 2020

Digital

I give thanks I've a pretty good memory. It generally keeps me up to date and on the ball, while generously drawing a veil over chunks of my life better left forgotten. Yesterday evening, pulling the spare room window closed against the evening chill (well, chilly to me anyhow!) I heard a new sound of running water somewhere nearby and thoughts of all the leaking and overflowing left unfixed at my last home came 'flooding' back as I frantically tried to find its source. Turned out to be the ornamental fountain in the park across the way spouting water for the first time for many many months... Phew!

My joints are still giving me a hard time, and the tender tendons round them, but I'm grateful my thumbs and wrists have been less painful so I've been able to be handy here and there today. My right knee was giving me particular grief yesterday and the soreness spreading up and down my leg so it was really difficult finding a comfortable position on the sofa to watch my original TV, let alone getting the feet on the new one and watch that. I woke up several times in the night with it too but it wasn't until the early morning that I finally recognised it as sciatica on the other side from when I had it before. Cue another set of horrid memories, and some pretty pointless thinking around the theme of not being able to handle this, on top of that...and that...and the other! I'm so grateful it eased off during the day so it's more like someone is playing tinkly classical guitar on the nerve rather than thrash metal.

I give thanks for dodging torrential showers and those not so happy campers to pick up a prescription from Boots, tackling the monster pile of washing up and some contented arranging of mosaic tiles. For finally limbering up enough to assemble the television and begin a rather frustrating hour or so trying to get the thing to work...and then get it to work with my old TV box full of recordings I'd like to access...and then get the old set to work without the TV box and associated remote control so I can offer it as a stand alone going concern to the local homeless charity. For a while there I wondered if I'd lost my own control of such matters and would have to be a girl and get a man to help, but then I remembered the drawer of valves I had in my twenties, decided I wasn't about to be defeated by a mere digital single and achieved these goals at least, though a few more related ones  outstanding.  I give thanks for perseverance and for the way belief in one's capabilities can help with tricky tasks. I also give thanks now the new set is finally off the floor it's safe for me to vacuum. Well kind of any way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics