Monday 24 August 2020

Mysterious

I give thanks for a beautiful almost double rainbow on the way to the city this morning, and for one of the main men from my time on the main unit now being a vascular access chap so I felt in good hands when I arrived. He scanned my arm and could see no reason why the fistula seemed to be packing up on Friday, recommending to his replacement on the ward there (who used to work at my normal unit so another known and trusted quantity) that we start dialysis and if it was working OK I commence eating and drinking again. I was very grateful this occurred just before the tea trolley came around, and for experiencing no obvious ill effects from missing most of my treatment on Friday.

I give thanks for having nice clean blood again anyway, and no extra holes for it to come out of! I've had a lot of difficult stuff to deal with in my life, and knowns I can more or less get on with, but extended uncertainty in large and lengthy quantities really wears me out... My fistula will probably require attention some at some point as the measures taken to stop it working too powerfully seem to have pushed it rather too far the other way, but I'm very relieved emergency surgery is not required. Similarly, after my anaemia treatment was stopped a month or two ago due to haemoglobin levels suitable for a healthy person (ie higher than sensible for a renal patient, despite it feeling so good!) I've slithered back down to a state when slithering is pretty much all I can do. I'm not sure why they've taken so long to notice and respond to this, but I'm extremely grateful today they started boosting me again, as I've been becoming increasingly uncomfortably symptomatic. For the tail end of stormy summer holidays not being a bad time to want to be mostly sofa bound when you live in a busy seaside resort, and that believing I might come home this afternoon even more limply than I did meant I pushed myself to do some household chores at the weekend that otherwise would have been left and idleness has so far resulted in very little mess. I also give thanks that being home in the afternoon somehow means I keep mistakenly thinking I have to go to hospital tomorrow...and all being well I don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics