Monday 12 July 2021

Anthropological

Not sure quite how it slipped my mind these last few weeks, but I give thanks for finally recalling Émile Durkheim's concept of collective effervescence in time to understand the ecstasy, and then the agony of the football followers last night. And, as I was writing the previous sentence, for realising the restrictions of the pandemic have meant opportunities to experience its effects have been in short supply for those who usually do...as well of those of us who usually don't any more. I give thanks for those who managed to remain philosophical despite their disappointment, and for those who weren't unkind.

I give thanks for an OK day at the office apart from someone waking me from a nap to check what time my treatment was due to end...and then when it ended for there being no one available to disconnect me from the machine...and then the machine breaking so I couldn't be disconnected for what seemed like an awfully long time. For the reminder of the futility of setting store by expectations and outcomes you have in mind...and, of course, for it being the technology malfunctioning not my body!

I give thanks for my taxi driver being patient and understanding, and for being home at last, with both dinner and dessert I prepared earlier awaiting my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics