Tuesday 6 July 2021

Symbolic

I give thanks for graphemes - the shapes we use to represent sounds that make up words and perform part of the mind blowing miracle of turning squiggles or pixels into ideas and images. For three enthralling compilations of them on the go - The Dutch House, a novel recommended by my cousin; Word Perfect, etymological entertainment by Susie Dent thoughtfully chosen by Bob last Christmas, my current 'dipping' book, and Viking Britain, a fascinating academic attempt to find the history behind centuries of caricature and hype. 

For my tiny 50p from a doorstep spider plant, bought just before first lockdown, now majestically grown and producing babies. I'm considering them grandchildren as the usual sort don't seem to be part of my life's pathway.

For the Lazarus effect of hearing my liver function is improving again after stalling last week, and knowing if things didn't turn around another hospital stay might be on the cards. I'd been lying on the sofa feeling feeble and sorry for myself but after the call was improved enough for a slow toddle up the street to support some local small businesses buying fresh stuff I'd not been sure I'd need before. For sitting in the sunshine for a few minutes between showers. For a nap between various deliveries and discussions including one with the charming Sainsbury's driver who thoughtfully brought up a parcel I'd not yet been downstairs to retrieve, and told me how much his life had improved since he had to change job due to Covid.

For getting the bloody washing done (that's descriptive not expletive!) and for making a pan of simple soup! Between a lot of necessary rest today there's been some semblance of normal life...and that's something I really appreciate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics