Tuesday 20 January 2015

Spaced out

When my body's hurting and I'm woken up by hail hurtling against the window, I'm very grateful I don't have to go out...unless I have a hospital appointment! When my body's hurting, there's hail hurtling against the window and I have a hospital appointment I'm very grateful if it's a Tuesday and I go into the kitchen and remember Rachel did the washing up the night before...

I'm grateful most of my appointments are in places fairly easily reached by bus and train, and the bus and train catching places are fairly easily reached from here, on a good day. On a bad day, lacking a compassionate and compatible companion to drive me, I'm still grateful for still being able to use public transport and enjoy my view of the world (literal and metaphorical) rather than being transported by volunteers imposing theirs. The loss of ability and mobility is hardest part of failing health for me, but a close second is all the time I have to share physical space with folk whose headspace is very different from mine especially when they inflict it on my ears! I give thanks for a quiet waiting room, and a consultant who respects my opinion and my ability to keep myself alive...


I give thanks for travelling further as I was half way there and trying one more time to find my favourite bread though it seems it's not available anywhere now and I can give up this arduous quest at last. I give thanks for finding some spelt wholemeal instead, plus Fair Trade roobosch, and pretty light across the estuary waiting for the train back. I'm grateful for loud unleashed schoolchildren keeping me from dozing off and missing my stop. and I'm grateful when my body's hurting and I've been to a hospital appoinment I can come home and rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics