Saturday 23 January 2016

Existential

I give thanks for... Oh gosh, I don't know! For keeping on keeping on I suppose, keeping on trying to find a modicum of meaning and purpose in another day utterly devoid thereof. I give thanks for not trying too hard, because sometimes you just have to accept there isn't one, except to accept that is the case.

I give thanks for feeling well enough to feel bored, cooped up and restless, for understanding this is a privilege no matter how like penance or punishment it seems sometimes.

I give thanks for all the other privileges so easy to take for granted...a home and food and clothing, for power in the sockets and water in the tap.

I give thanks for the neighbouring households being quiet at bedtime so I could sleep without earplugs and be woken up in the night by owls instead. I give thanks for remembering the neighbouring households don't mean to cause me distress with their noisiness - they just have interactional companionable lives unlike my mostly silent merely solitary existence.

I give thanks Alan Bennett writes exceedingly long books...and sometimes they make me laugh out loud. I wonder if the neighbours are surprised when they hear me and realise I exist. It surprises me, I can tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics