Wednesday 13 January 2016

What am I (like)?

I'm grateful as a slipling girl studying for my Speech and Drama exam I learnt D. H Lawrence's What is he? The first few lines still echo in my mind reminding me that to live and to be is at least as important as having an occupation with a recognised job title...well, unless you're producing a CV of course!

I'm grateful that in searching for a link to this poem I found one which also references a wonderful place and a great use for the kind of things you find there...
http://www.greenwoodcourses.com/dh-lawrence-on-the-subject.html

I'm grateful I could legitimately call myself a writer (even 'literary award winning' at a push!) Poet? Composer? Designer? Without a doubt... Freelance philosopher? Oh most definitely...as far as anything is definite within this illusion we call life! I could of course, as others do on places like Facebook, label myself anything I do or am, though mostly I reckon I am grateful to be just a human, being (I hope!) the best that I can...so I don't. 

Sometimes people ask though, don't they...and I hate being defined by my non-working status, let alone the reasons behind it...so today I was not just grateful but down right delighted to be reminded I am in fact something you can write with capital letters...something deserving of travel expenses to do it in London for a day if I choose, something I think could be quite a conversation stopper if you just announced it with emphasis on the first syllable and declined to explain. I am a Lay Reviewer!

Hmmm...so what else is new? I give thanks for a long lie in under my cosy downy quilt...for the bright sunshine streaming in my bedroom window giving me an interesting idea for a photograph which came out OK but is not OK to show you... For the downstairs door being open when a delivery driver arrived so I didn't have to leave my flat to get a package. For making progress with my cardigan, but not too fast so my hands don't get too sore. Though not ready to wear yet, it's got to the stage when I can try it on and look in the mirror and think 'Hey...didn't you do well girl?' so I also give thanks that I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics