Monday 10 September 2018

I'm a believer


So today was quite a lot about cancer. It's ten years since my diagnosis, and the illness and its aftermath have been very much on my mind. Although I didn't die as expected I lost so much of my life that was precious to me, and many dark memories of the last decade keep surfacing, while there's also a lot of physical reminders I'm right on the borders of the land of the living now anyway. Thus, in these unpromising circumstances, I give thanks for going the extra mile to find the gratitude today...

I didn't feel celebrating exactly but it might have been nice to feel a little celebrated in the manner of a birthday or happy anniversary perhaps... so I give thanks I'm a believer in doing for yourself what you would have others do for you! Though I felt rotten enough to stay in bed I give thanks for taking myself out for the afternoon away from all the stresses and strains of living here. I give thanks for managing far more walking than I thought I could, for catching a boat or two and for some sitting in the breezy sunshine watching the watersporters at play. For a refreshing mug of tea...and a piece of cake so laden with sugar I had to throw it away. Why am I grateful for the last part? Because my tastebuds are so scarred by the experience I have completely lost my sweet tooth - for now anyway!

I give thanks that Rachel is due this evening bringing acupuncture needles and something for my supper. All I need to do is to try and stay awake a little longer...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics