Tuesday 21 July 2020

Left

Sometimes it's not so much that you don't know what you're missing, but time has kindly drawn a veil of forgetfulness over your memory. Today I went to visit the town I left last year and have hardly seen in this one...and was so grateful I did! I give thanks for the tranquillity compared to here, partly due to more spacious public space so it seemed less crowded, but also due to a calmer clientele, even in summertime. I knew about this difference already of course, but not having personally experienced it for a while it didn't so much hit me as gently stroke me...

For contemplating on the concept of home on one of a choice of empty benches, and reminding myself of the very good reasons I moved away including, rather ironically in the circumstances, being nearer my 'home' dialysis base... Then my phone rang (unusually I had the sound on so I heard it!) and it was the hospital asking if I'd like to go back there starting this Friday and I was so thankful I nearly cried!

I give thanks for the facilities and attractions there, seeing businesses not selling food and drink (which most of them do round here), and how they were operating in new ways. For getting my sunglasses fixed so I can look down without them falling off, for falling in love with a little second hand chest of drawers just calling out for one of my makeovers, being given disposable gloves to examine it manually and an offer of free delivery as it was on the shop owner's way home. For spotting Mima on the street and getting a non Greggs but passable vegan sausage roll and cakes to celebrate.

I give thanks for the wonderful seasonal sculpture trail, the main reason for my visit. It's made from recycled materials, often those left or washed up on the beach and is always a feast for the eyes but seems even more so than usual this year.



For a long lie down when I wearily returned... For Andrew popping in with the paperwork for my new windows, and, as he's a mate as well as a salesman, for his assistance with some too tight for me screws on a carpet plate that needs lifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics