Saturday 16 January 2021

Scientific

I give thanks the thought of a poet at the Science Cafe finally made me download Zoom. I'd been resisting for so long! But though it was annoying that my internet kept lagging and dropping so I only caught 90% of the spoken words - a dead loss for poetry - I was also kind of grateful for the poetic justice of a perfect excuse not to go there again!

For a Loose Ends from last year to listen to while I got on with some making, doing and mending, and a guy performing in the studio who sent shivers down my spine. I didn't catch his name... but I wouldn't have been able to spell it even if I had! Luckily he was playing (stunningly) the Irish Bouzouki which narrowed it down a bit for a search to hear more, and for finding a great set from the Shrewsbury Folk Festival a couple of years ago. Check out the insane bodhran solo about 35 mins in if that's your sort of thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx3rWFJ9Qs4

And if you'd rather stick to the science...well they're working on why we get goosebumps and chills!

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/why-music-gives-you-chills#:~:text=When%20the%20participants%20listened%20to,an%20ancestral%20function%20for%20music.%22

I've been wondering when Coronavirus would start to rear its head in an arts series and this episode from 1st Feb was still free of mentions, though it did crop up in the news headlines that followed - some students at Oxford had contracted it while abroad. I give thanks for Facebook memories of my weekend away this time last year before the trouble really started.

I give thanks for a new TV programme about the Natural History Museum. It's rather unsatisfyingly lightweight but I adore the actual building so I'm grateful for the shots of that and to remember being lucky enough to go there in the past as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics