Sunday 13 June 2021

Matching


I've not been an inpatient on an oncology ward before, and I give thanks for being initiated into its secret delights to help soothe the souls of those whose bodies may be beyond repair. There's a garden just for patients and staff with plenty of places to sit secludedly or sociably in the sun or under the shade of plants and pergola. Or if you fancy a quiet sit down away from all the anguish and bustle of the wards there's a little room with sofa and chairs to read or watch videos or TV, also a bathroom and shower room kept clean and stocked with proper toiletries unlike any other hospital ones I've seen. Mostly I see them and say nah, I'll stay dirty thank you! 

Despite these softening of the blows, it's also been useful to be reminded that a hospital is run to accommodate the goals of the many kinds of staff, and the actual needs of patients have to be somehow slotted into these commitments and routines. I'm honestly also grateful I'm low on their priorities where slotting is concerned as it's literally a healthy sign, if sometimes rather frustrating... 

My goals for today have been to wrest some emergency stoma supplies from stores somewhere (eventual tick) and to watch as much of the French Open final as possible despite dodgy WiFi access (plus the potentially puzzling obviously irritating noises I make with headphones in!) and limited access to the aforementioned little room as it's also a valuable space for private sensitive talks. For most of the day I've felt in the way wherever I've been, so one time when I was able to revel in some marvellous games on the TV and a doc popped her head round the door, I was out of my seat and apologising before I realised she'd actually come to see me! She's the duty oncology consultant and I've been so grateful for the way she's dealt with my current problem (which is treatment related not original illness related - phew!)...and me in general, I might say as well! Together we have formulated several plans covering various timescales including going home tomorrow afternoon after dialysis and intravenous meds...and possibly moving to her list when my current oncologist takes retirement soon. I do hope so, I like her the best of all the ones I've met. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics