Thursday 5 December 2019

Educational

I bet if I said I didn't get much sleep last night you'd think it was due to pain or worry about my appointment, but no, I took meds for unwanted symptoms and the worry was about waking up and getting up in time, and how best to plan a productive itinerary afterwards with minimum expenditure of time and effort. I give thanks for managing the first part anyway, and for refraining from tearing the oncologist limb from limb when she explained that though treatment was a possibility she didn't want to discuss options yet as she didn't have the results she needed from the biopsy - so basically I had wrenched myself out of bed in the cold pre-dawn just for the pleasure of passing half hour in the waiting room!

I do rather wonder if I should be more worked up about all this than I am, but to be honest all future scenarios seem so intolerably grim I can only really focus my discontent on minor inconveniences like absence of the curry I'd planned to buy last night and of the entire hospital cafe where I'd planned to recuperate with a large well buttered tea cake after clinic. I give thanks for understanding sometimes sweating the small stuff is actually a fine idea!

Talking of which I give thanks for layers of clothing - it was freezing on the bus and roasting on the train. For a nap on the sofa when I returned, before I'd even taken my coat and boots off, let alone put the kettle on. For Julie coming to help with some top of the ladder decorating work, which inspired me to do a little more a little lower down. For remembering it was a year ago this evening when the sale of my old flat suddenly completed and I had to move down the road in a great hurry with what would fit in her car. I give thanks for the varied opportunities life provides for learning what you can live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics