Monday 20 February 2012

Dog's dinner

I hardly ever watch TV in the mornings...even when I'm sleeping in a room with a TV I rarely turn it on in the first part of the day and only ever watch something actually broadcast at the time if I need to know the time! However...this morning I was going to look through my digital library whilst having a cuppa and I didn't even know what channel the TV was on but it appeared to be showing a film. A few moments passed during which I wasn't even sure what language they were speaking and then they cut back to the studio and it was BBC1 and the presenter said it was a clip from Red Dog and turned to Louis de Bernieres! I'd heard they'd made a film of this wonderful book, based on a wonderful true story and apparently it has just been released over here. It's not often I want to see a movie enough to consider actually going to a cinema but I must see where and when it is on...and also if it's available to watch by any other means as, as far as I know, up to now the best way was to go to Australia! Not that I've anything against that per se you understand but it would be a lengthy and costly way to go about it! In the meantime...if you haven't read the book then do...it's brilliant, moving and funny too It was quite brilliant seeing Louis de Bernieres too, albeit briefly, and hearing him being diplomatic about 'adaptations'...Much gratitude for the book, the film and the TV program and also the writer of course...

'What am I alive for anyway?' sang Nina Simone and I've pondered that many times but I can only think it's to spread joy however I can. It took me some years to work out how to do this after discovering that for most human beings most of the time my presence was not a source of...and then I began to understand I could do it through pixels or squiggles and lines and dots...sometimes in arrangements of my own making and sometimes by directing people to how others have organised theirs....

I'm grateful for staying mostly cosy during a rather chilly night and for getting up relatively early to attend to various chores. They had to be done this morning as this afternoon I went out for tea and cake with Helen. This was her birthday treat and I thought she meant in a cafe in town so was delighted when she suggested somewhere else in the grounds of a castle not far away that was an extra treat to go to. There are pretty views...including deer and, this time of year, snow drop drifts too. They have a couple of the kinds of shops where you admire a great deal and buy not a lot and also serve delicious food. I had lemon, lime and ginger cheesecake. More anti nausea and vitamin C then with a bit of protein too, ha ha! I hadn't a clue what you were on about when I first read your comment Juanita...

I give thanks for my afternoon tea and Helen's company and for us bumping into a mutual acquaintance...from work eight years ago! I give thanks for the lovely friendly pharmacy in town and for the cauliflower cheese I made yesterday knowing I'd be grateful for a home made dinner I didn't have to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics