Wednesday 1 February 2012

Out and in

I was going to write 'I give thanks for a nice day out at the hospital'...but that sounds mad doesn't it? As days out at the hospital go it was pretty good though! The bus didn't come but there were some friendly people to wait with, and the next one got me there in time. The staff were friendly and helpful and efficient too, timing the procedures just right so all could be done. I got some tea and sympathy and biscuits after at our wonderful local cancer charity centre in the hospital grounds and I remembered what a treat it is to talk! Then a sunset on the way home on the bus. After more than eight hours out I was fit for little and made a quick cuppa and bunged a ready meal in the oven while I got changed into comfy dozy clothes...

But when I went back to get my tea there was water coming through the kitchen ceiling again, running down the wall, dripping on the floor in a place it's hard to put a bucket or bowl. I stopped feeling comfy and dozy straight away and lost my appetite as well. I unbattened the hatches and banged on my just home neighbours door. It's up a few stairs from mine so she looms over you if she opens it and she opened it and loomed with a cigarette hanging from the corner of her mouth and still insisted it was the landlord/freeholder's fault. There's no point in phoning him...either he'll not answer, or answer and say it's hers and be horrible and nothing will change except I'll feel worse than I do already. I'll have to protect what I can and see if I can get a letter written and printed and posted tomorrow and then...oh goodness knows! As dear Pat pointed out there's a clause in the lease says the 'I didn't get the letter' excuse won't stand up so it's step one but how many more weeks, months or years of steps will it take to get it sorted. How many more have I got? What if I need time off sick from trying? What's going to happen if I have to go into hospital? What about while I'm away next week...?

OK, moaning and wild imaginings over. Worse things happen at sea...well wetter things anyway! I have insurance and not eating is great for the waistline. I haven't finished my Tree of Life embroidery so that's not getting spoiled. I've emailed Environmental Health with a picture and a plea and I'm going to watch some really mindless TV and try to forget about it for now...probably best not to check my blood pressure though eh?

2 comments:

  1. My goodness Angel, you don't need all this crap from Landlords. Upstairs I remember, the lease belongs to the F****** landlord and he rents it out, mind you the canny shi** probably has leased it out under the umbrella of an 'under lease'.. Now as the leaseholder of the flat beneath, you own the ceiling plaster, and the internal wall, this should come under the buildings insurance, but there is a clause in your lease that talks about you not insuring anything already covered by the landlords insurance, how broadly worded is your contents insurance, because you also own the windows and I guess the sanitary ware. You might need the services of your insurance company and their loss adjuster to help you fight this one. God I wish I lived in your town, your block even, would love to screw this man who doesn't know who is father is to the ffffing floor!
    Glad you had a comfortable day Angel and timings worked in your favour, but you didn't need this trauma after such a long day. Would your son be able to come stay at your place while you are away, just thinking aloud here. Would come in a trice if I didn't have six cats of my own, plus one who just moved in; belongs to someone down the road aways but prefers to live with me!
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear your day was spoiled by that blasted leak! as if you haven't got enough to deal with. I hope you manage to get a good nights sleep,
    Sweet dreams Angel
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics