Tuesday 7 February 2012

A woman's walk


Everything in my room was comfortable last night...except me! I didn't sleep well and couldn't do justice to this delicious breakfast and just sampled all the components before hobbling back upstairs to lie down again. I knew it would be cold out despite the blazing sun and there was no need to stir but I could see people walking on the hillside on the other side of the sands and I wanted to be there too. I've been here two or three times before but never up to the tower on the headland there so, even though my footsteps were only a little longer than my shoes, with no momentum or bodyheat created and I must have looked as ridiculous as I felt, I went.

Looking at it now I think...how? How did I get up there without help? Well I must've helped myself I guess! Reading this you might wonder...why? Well, there are people who want to see what you see when you get to the top of the hill, and there are people who don't and if you're one who does that doesn't change when age and illness changes your body and your spirit gets squashed if you can't. I met a woman yesterday who took up backpacking aged fifty one after years of trying to persuade happy to stay at home husband to travel...she would have understood! I needed to unsquash my spirit. There was a seat at the top in the sun and out of the wind and I sat there for a very long time letting it spring back into shape a little as I watched the long dark stripes in the sea come closer and turn into waves for miles in each direction. It also gave my legs time to mend to bring me back via a cafe which was handy...

Then, when I got back to my sun baked room I did one of my favourite things in the whole world ever...fell asleep watching the sea...woke up and watched it some more! They're a surfer crowd here and they confirmed the waves today were phenomenal... It was also astonishingly warm for a while in the afternoon. I don't know what I'd like tomorrow...more of the same is OK, ha ha!

I give thanks for my strength and spirit, for activity and rest, for feeling safe and taken care of by kind and thoughtful people, for beautiful scenery and weather...for all of this wonderful treat!

4 comments:

  1. Angel, now that breakfast is a cougar sized one when she has been on holiday, but it lasts me all day. One thing on the plate I would change: egg fried or poached not scrambled! Now you called that a full Cornish, so I guess your here in Cornwall somewhere. If your anywhere in striking distance of Newquay, Falmouth, Truro or Penzance, Pat will be delighted to take you sight seeing in a very comfortable car, music, no music, any radio station, or just silence, choice would be yours. You know how to contact me privately, would be delighted to oblige.
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gabi I am so happy for you! I pray that your sleep tonight is much more restful. I am just so glad that you got to unsquash your spirit a little. Have a fab time :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would've lasted me all day if I could have taken all day to eat it, ha ha! Thanks for the kind offer Pat but I'm right up the other end of the county.
    Juanita I'm totally wiped out today but yes, it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again Angel
    Still love to read your posts.You make me feel as though I am there.Sooo glad you are having a lovely break!
    Warmest regards
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Web Statistics