Saturday 25 February 2012

Fit for purpose

So Saturday came and did I feel it was Sunday? Er, no, I just felt tired! Well wouldn't you be on an eight day week? That's just reminded me...before a last ditch attempt to get a 'proper job' in my forties (just after trying out university actually) I used to do several things part time. All kinds of things...office work, shop work, care work, cafe work, craft work, classroom assistant, cleaning, light manual labour... All of these jobs are OK a few hours at a time and because a change is as good as a rest ...and the pay is not the best... I'd work weeks without a full day off sometimes. Now it just feels as if I do! I'm grateful for (most of) the many experiences though. It helps with the avoidance of solipsism. And I give thanks to Jared for reminding me enough times what solipsism means so now I actually remember!

I've stripped a little more wallpaper off the very stubborn wall (I'm saving the rest of the easy one for a treat!) and yesterday evening reclaimed my bedroom as a usable area by covering up the bits that look worse than before I started with screens and old net curtains. In the process of making it homely and welcoming for the night I discovered a new way of arranging the furniture. It's a very small room with a brass style double bed and a big merchant's style chest of drawers and there aren't many ways of altering where they go without actually dismantling them and rebuilding in a new spot, especially as a) I hate  double beds pushed up against the wall and b) I like to be able to open the drawers! But last night I found a way so there is now room even for a little folding chair by the window! The room looks and feels far more spacious and comfortable even without the 'extension' into the living room originally planned. And as an extra bonus, as the exposed floor space is a different shape, none of the rugs I've coveted that have sold out or sold at a silly price would have fitted it!

One of the advantages of sleeping on the single bed in the living room is that it has a wooden slatted base under the mattress which suits me as I prefer a firm bed. The bedroom bed has square wire mesh which is more springy and I was wondering if I could attach some slats in some way. I remembered I had some unused laminate floor boards stored in a dry place...not my mouldering store. I got a few out to try and they were longer than I remembered and I thought they might need sawing which is too strenuous for me and a bit heavy handed for a mere experiment anyway but...get this...they fit precisely inside the frame on top of the mesh! Could have been made for the job and hope to get a couple more out some energetic time soon and space them out evenly all along the bed. I give gratitude for more 'support' and respect to the cosmos for its sense of humour!

I'm grateful for mild weather so the windows can be open for drying and airing and not too much sunshine so I feel I'm missing a day. I'm grateful for reading in National Geographic that Venus and the crescent moon will appear in proximity tonight though it's so murky I'm not sure we'll be able to distinguish the sky here let alone celestial bodies...

As the water in the kitchen is at the final spread and stain stage (for now) I've been able to reclaim that corner of the kitchen again (for now). It's dripped under the worktop before so I got everything out just in case and this time it didn't and I am actually grateful for that as it's in a difficult place to catch when it does. I've been quite busy so far since I finally got out of bed and I've been writing this in the sitting downy bits which is why it's so long!...I'm aiming for a maximum of twenty words tomorrow OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics