Tuesday 10 January 2012

HD ready

What a beautiful moon we have had this week. Yes pedants, I know it's the same one as always, but the last couple of days I'd give it high marks for both content and artistic impression! Monday night it was in a rainbowed circle in a bank of light cloud and yesterday, when it was clearer, lighting up the sea. I give thanks for the memory of the view.

Thanks to Carole for alerting me to the sniffer bees. I'd never heard of such a thing and did an internet search rather than going straight to iplayer and I found many references over the years (yes, years!) including one on the QI site. I had never visited this before but it was actually er...how do I put this...quite interesting? I love it when we are reminded of all the amazing abilities of non human creatures can do even if we don't fully understand how and why they can do what they do...well maybe especially when we don't. I'm a great fan of the unknowable, ha ha! I was reading about researchers who had been showing videos of crabs to octopus who eat them to see how they reacted but they didn't react at all until high definition versions were shown- presumably as their vision is too sophisticated to recognise blurry old low tech images. I remember reading a Lyall Watson book many years ago – Gifts of Unknown Things, I think, where he was marvelling at the amazing eyes of squid and why they had them...isn't it good to finally understand it was so they were HD ready eh? I also love those random sentences that pop up in scenarios like the One Show clip - 'We put the bee in the holder'. Brilliant! Equally I've marvelled at sentences lately that shouldn't be strange but are...from Nothing to Declare: 'Tobacco is a legal drug' and from recent news report: 'MPs call for two alcohol-free days a week'. Does anyone want mine I have quite a few to spare?

A flat next door was cleared out yesterday. I don't know if this was connected to the death but knowledge of that added a poignancy to sight of furniture, carpets and so on being carried out and loaded up. Today some renovations are being done and I was woken to the rhythmic chink of hammer on stone or brick, then blaring radio, then the sounds of people enjoying their voices echo in empty rooms as they sang along while doing quieter chores. I can think of worse things I have to overhear...I was woken up by those kinds of things in the night again, couldn't get back to sleep and then had nightmares when I did...So I give thanks for the sounds of people happy at work which can actually be quite pleasant.

I give thanks for a speedy response to a request to speak to a GP and for feeling well enough to collect the prescription myself...even though the nurse didn't come in time for me to actually do so. Grrr! Well I could have gone out in the gathering dusk but I had additional plans that required daylight and anyway after dark nowadays I like to be home indoors with all the bolts and chains on! I give thanks for feeling a bit cooped up though because cabin fever is actually a healthy sign...and for finding useful things to do with the energy. As it was so mild I had the windows open so I could pretend I was working outside...and the cheery builders helped with the illusion.

Anyway, my late afternoon cuppa is going cold and I am definitely HD ready myself so that's enough waffle for today. Sending warm thoughts to Carol, Carole, Tony, Deb and Juanita today dealing with the aftermath of scan results including treatments that have nothing much to do with 'treats' and to Von who has popped up waving not drowning we are all glad to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics